Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Family History

As anyone who's looked around here for more than a minute knows I'm the desendant of Major Reuben Colburn, the American patriot and shipbuilder for Benedict Arnold's march to Quebec in 1775. He's my grandfather seven generations back. I qualify this beacuse web idiots have actually written this isn't possible, so I have to spell it out for the slow learners. My previous post required a visit in the hive, where believe me there is no light so they must be behind Making it.

They want to sue Rumsfeld for Iraq which is ludicrous on its face and lawyer C.E. Petit said as much. We got into a tiff and again I was disemvoweled. I even invited it as to make the truth harder to see. Neilsen-Hayden was glad to oblige. Had I said Rumsfeld should be shot at dawn like Alexander Hamilton, from former family guest Aaron Burr, they would have fawned all over me, but I was testing the far left partisans. They pretty much mirror wingnutosphere in tactics. Stray from the script and they pounce on the intruder. Been there, done that.

Nielsen-Hayden trotted out her Mayflower roots which if true, as I said before firms up my thesis that disemvoweling is a modernized Puritan stock treatment. It is, clearly. That said, she did bit of research into the family and posted it as an ad hominem. She missed the boat of course. All she could say in clonclusion was of course the same stereotype novices have always said about Colburn:
"I don't actually think that Reuben Colburn was a would-be war profiteer who was too incompetent to collect on his defense contract; but you know, you could make a case for it. In any event, this unmistakable bit player is the great and mighty ancestor who's supposed to give Mark York more say in the argument than the rest of us. It's a risible argument no matter who you're descended from; but I sure wouldn't try it if Major Reuben Colburn were all I had to work with."
That's the case many made, unjustly so. Willard Sterne Randall for one. Both Thomas Desjardin and James L. Nelson cited my work and Desjardin claimed lack of dried lumber in September for shipbuilders was common knowledge. He got it from me, but it refutes her slam that I cited no source for it, so I'll defer to the Ph.D on this one but it's a matter of knowing the woods business and New England in general. Particularly in 1775. Lumber takes all spring and summer to dry in the sheds.
The idea that Colburn had no significant "dried stores of lumber" is something I have been aware of since childhood and not a new or original idea. The term "Colburntown" may not be common knowledge in California, but among local historians here in Maine it is quite well known.
This serves me well on this point, but I was first writer to record or fix this theory to a medium. One can't prove an idea in one's head as Desjardin tried here though.

She even tried in a feeble attempt to discredit me, claiming the house isn't even called Colburn House, but the Arnold Expedition HQ. Try to hold two thoughts at once, a tall order at Making Darkness.

They went on to run a review of anti-Bush bumper stickers. That's about their speed. Sling manure while others duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]