Saturday, April 29, 2006

LA Times Book Festival

A good time with lots of talented people. I saw this author of this very lyrical New England novel, and David Rains Wallace, who I showed my copy of The Klamath Knot to from 1984 and told him how much it influenced me to do something. Alas the salmon are dwindling still. It heavily influenced my turn into conservation work at the time as did Desert Solitaire and A Sand County Almanac. The topic was what can be done through nature writing to influence policy? It's dismal, and less media real esatate is available than back then. I agree. Just try to get nature-oriented work published in The New Yorker as I have.

Gore Vidal, who is failing physically, but certainly not mentally, was a riot with Arianna Huffington.

Back tommorrow for Gay Talese and others

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I don't know Jake? Alaska is a big place.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Bein in the same place as a great writer in different decades isn't some sort of equivalancy. You're not Faulkner either. I get banned from blogs by owners that are threatened by my arguments.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

There is no correlation regarding geographic location to individual talent.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]