Thursday, January 18, 2007

Wunderblog

One cannot blame a single weather event—or single warm year—on climate change. However, the unbelievably warm start to the winter of 2006-2007 is part of an unmistakable pattern that shows human-caused climate change is upon us.

Jeff Masters
Dr. Masters of the Weather Underground knows what he's talking about, and is a beta reader of my novel answering Michael Crichton. I appreciate his expertise and editorial recommendations all of which I've employed in the rewrites. He slaughtered Crichton in his review of State of Fear.

"When asked about my opinion of the paradigm-altering claims of most contrarians (wasn't Galileo also dismissed by the establishment?), I typically reply that indeed, we must carefully examine all claims that, if true, would lead to paradigm shifts like that caused by Galileo, but at the same time, it is wise to note that for every real Galileo or Einstein who radically alters conventional wisdom, there are probably a thousand "fossil fools". Nevertheless, these contrarians are given disproportionate representation in the media"

Dr. Stephen Schneider of Stanford.

8 Comments:

Blogger Woody said...

Yorkie, you've finally convinced me that mankind is responsible for melting glaciers and such, and I want to help. Please check out my idea:
http://gmroper.mu.nu/archives/212695.php

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Well meathead I can't since my address has been blocked from even looking at the nonsense on your site. Otherwise I'd look if only to mock and ridicule your so-called idea.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Woody said...

That doesn't sound right. I thought that IP blocking only blocked commenting--not viewing, too. I'll ask G.M. how you are being blocked and see if we can get that corrected. Just to give you a hint, we are collecting ice cubes to rebuild melting glaciers.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm telling you I get a FORBIDDEN access on the server you use. The problem with the warm world is ice won't hang around when it temprarily forms. I know you're trying to be funny but it's only a sad indication of an innate lack of reasoning ability.

8:01 PM  
Blogger ORION said...

You made a comment on Miss Snark relating to your doubt of older writers getting agented and published? I apologize if I've misunderstood.
Check out my blog - I obtained representation at 53 and my first book will be published in August by Putnam - I will be 54.
Neither my agent nor editor was concerned about my age.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Being misunderstood is probably why I'm failing to get published. I specifically affirmed age has nothing to do with getting published: you get there when you get there, is what I said, but it does have a lot to do with getting or not getting a job. And good for you.

11:31 AM  
Blogger ORION said...

OK. thanks for clearing that up and thanks for posting on my blog. My neocounter crashed your computer???? Weird. How does that happen?
Re: the job I think it depends on your area. My husband is over 50 and an architect and continually gets wooed from another firm.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, I guess it depends on who one is and what they have to offer. In government service they don't want to take on anyone with healthcare needs if they can get a 20-something for the same money. personnel departments look out for this and routinely overqualify the young while underqualifying the middle-aged applicants. Life always goes well for some people and not for others.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]