Monday, August 07, 2006

One Senator's View

Sounds right to this scientist.

August 7, 2006


Mr. Mark York
10799 Sherman Grove Avenue, Spc 39
Sunland, California 91040

Dear Mr. York:

Thank you for writing me to share your concerns
about global warming. I appreciate hearing from you on
this important issue and welcome the opportunity to
respond.

I have seen the film "An Inconvenient Truth" and,
like you, I believe it was well-made and clearly lays out
the scientific facts behind global warming. There is
convincing evidence that global warming is occurring.
That is why I am deeply concerned about global warming
and strongly committed to fighting one of the greatest
threats to our environment.

In fact, the National Academy of Sciences has
found that the Earth's surface temperature rose about one
degree Fahrenheit during the 20th century. This warming
process has intensified in the past 20 years and has been
accompanied by a documented retreat of glaciers,
thinning of arctic ice, rising sea levels, and the increasing
likelihood of droughts and floods. Unabated global
warming would result in a number of potential
environmental problems including severe disruptions in
normal weather patterns, flooding in coastal
communities, changes in global agricultural production,
the spread of tropical diseases, and the extinction of
many species. California would be hard-hit by these
changes.

I strongly believe Congress should act to reduce
our greenhouse gas emissions in order to curb the
impacts of climate change. Please know that as a
member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural
Resources, I will do everything possible to support the
continued development of renewable sources of power
such as solar, wind, geothermal and biomass, in addition
to promoting the most efficient use of our finite
resources.

You may be interested to hear that I am currently
circulating my draft legislation "Strong Economy and
Climate Protection Act," which would establish a
mandatory cap-and-trade system that stops and then
reverses the amount of greenhouse gases that are emitted
over time. At this time, I am carefully considering and
evaluating the feedback I have received on this draft
legislation.

On a related note, I recently finished reading a
very interesting book on the history of global warming
which might interest you. It is the The Weathermakers:
How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means
for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery. In it, Flannery
describes how the warming trend is firmly established
and the damage already done. I heartily recommend it.
Again, thank you for writing me.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Or read the book she recommended. Hint: it's not by a wingnut so it's actuallty valild. Your money has already gone down a Houston rathole. Woody you and Roper are two of the dumbest wingnuts I've ever met. Iike Siskel and Ebert there will only be one in a short time. And alas at his own hand too. Pity, that.

11:35 PM  
Blogger GM Roper said...

Yorkie, you are truly a vile person. First, They cought my cancer early, got it ALL out via surgery and there were NO metastisis or involvement of the lymph glands... chemo and monitoring give me better than a 75% chance of making it beyond 5 years and since I'm already 60 (I started smoking before you were born dweeb, back when it was cool and no one was aware of what damage it did) beyond 5 more is a pretty good thing. YOU however as such a creep, I'd be surprised if someone didn't pound your head in just for spite.

Oh, and as for "I didn't know you smoked" bullcrap, you were vile enough to tell a lung cancer patient to shove a cancer stick in his face. Vile indeed.

Oh, and your assertion that becuse the '[book]it's not by a wingnut so it's actuallty valild," is without a doubt the stupidest thing you've ever said... a book is more valid depending on the political hackery of the author? Laughable, just laughable.

This is the last time I'll be at your pitiful unread blog, so, enjoy the notariety while you can. Wow, I'll bet you have had more hits in the last 48 hours than you've had in the last year.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Buddy I smoked back when it was "cool" too after talking my late father into quitting. He lived to 85 as a result. Facts aren't your friend as usual. I did not know you smoked; I couldn't have since I've never met you or smelled your breath. Thank Christ and Greyhound for that. You first told me to "put that in your pipe and smoke it." I suppose by your logic that's wishing me cancer. Ain't happening pal. I do hope you live but smoking up to diagnosis is a bad sign. It means you failed to heed scientific warnings for 25 years. I'm 53, so you only have 7 years on me. I quit 35 years ago when I had a clue. A relative of mine didn't and he got lung cancer at 47. He still smoked on chemo before stipping. He's never been the same since. Need I remind folks of Peter Jennings? Smokers die sooner than the rest of us. My oldest relative that smoked lived to 93, but he never got cancer. It happens; it's an exception. You're the norm for this. Whether a book is valid depends on the science in it. Your ignorant ideology prevents learning and adaptation. That is alays fatal. Mopping up after your trolls is not something I will miss. Rude liars; homophobes and bigots aren't wanted here. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.Get out and stay out.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

"I'd be surprised if someone didn't pound your head in just for spite."

One more thing Roper, this combined with the implied "pay me a visit invitation" from one of your local cretin goons here in LA could very well contitute a physical threat. Not that you would fare well there old man, but the evidence of a group attack on me is clear and the FBI takes a dim view of this sort of thing. So if you think getting Cancer because you were too stupid to quit smoking is a problem it pales comnpared to the legal trouble this threat will bring upon your house. And they wonder why I have little sympathy for you?

"Stupid is as stupid does." Forrest Gump who is Einstein compared to you.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]