Sunday, June 12, 2005

First Novels

These are the publishers who have published first novels. None of them are vanity publishers. When I first looked into POD publishers in 2000 I did so for a term paper on the future of publishing: digital versus print. At the time the big houses were experimenting with this as a way to find new talent. While it still can happen the industry is distancing itself from the POD companies. That's a fact, not an opinion.

I continue to be attacked by sensitive vanity authors, many of whom run editing services for novice writers and thus are great promoters of vanity presses. That's a conflict of interest and a tainted opinion. To advocate vanity publication one has to suspend factual analysis and head straight for a faith-based approach. Not surprising as with Publishamerica a more naive conservative religious-based clientele tend to believe these companies will help them create a writing career. They won't. I've also edited my intro to nonfiction writer, since author is a loaded term in this divisive atmosphere. The charge was I claim POD authors aren't really authors so how can I be? It's a fair question.

I certainly would defer that title to those with commercial publication. Hemingway was an author. He also started as a journalist, which is where many future authors train. I defend that path to publication, and, as anyone can see for themselves here, my diploma and published clips document my efforts down this same road. I could have rested on two POD books, long scientific career, and claimed expert author status, but I didn't. That's the difference between wannabes and the real thing. My work continues to be under review at top literary agencies in New York. That's the only way to the top or the bottom rung of the ladder for that matter. The deniers are wrong.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Well I like being called young at my age. The post was removed because it was a personal attack by a troll with no point save to prove his/her idiocy.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why so many flaming comments as of late? Are these the vanity authors attacking you or just blog-bashers?


--Mitchell

10:42 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

It has to do with Pod-dy-mouth a real author who reviews POD books. You know the cult Mitchell. Hey hear anything from blipperton? The link is on the blog here. Stop by.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Forgot. Yes it's vanity authors and POD fans. They tend to be recent converts do they're in the denial phase.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]