Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscars

Well I'm not happy about Crash being picked Best Picture. We'd seen a similar and I'd argue better film before in Grand Canyon by Lawrence Kasdan about life in LA. Brokeback Mountain was clearly the best film, but the best actors were solid as was the adapted screenplay, score, and director Ang Lee. Canadian Paul Haggis is an industry staple since 1975 despite the stories he told about being unemployed and struggling. The mansion in the film is his so. Department of "yeah right." The feel good statement of the rich takes the prize. As others have said it will be forgotten fast.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Late Mitchell Warren said...

Kudos to Roger Ebert for predicting that upset.

Crash was pretty good but I can see why a lot of people didn't like it. It was more of a parable than a realistic look at racism.

I won't see Brokeback Mountain anytime soon. But I was surprised that it didn't win, since the academy has been very open minded as regards their picks in recent years. Two rap songs winning best song? LOTR and Chicago winning best picture?

I honestly think Brokeback not winning was a statement of some kind. I'm not sure what it said though.

I was still more pissed off about Revenge Of The Sith not winning at least best make up. Of all the Star Wars prequels, it was the most satisfying.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

The Environmental Webring
The Environmental Webring
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]